historical documents tell us that the original
denomination of the borgo and beginnings of
it was named San Donato 'extra muros' or San
Donato de Castrovetere (di Castelvecchio).
The meaning of 'extra muros' distinguishes San
Donato of the farmes from San Donato al Cantuccio
located on the S.Gimignano fountains way.The
first news of San Donato dates back to June
22 1971 , describing San Donato as a "borgo
, villa and church".
In 1183 in Gambassi additional documents cite
the habitants of San Donato. In 1220 a papal
document fron Onorio III mentioned San Donato's
church amongst other churchs under the authority
of Pieve di S.Gimignano. In 1308 San Donato
gets assalted from Volterra fighting against
Fews years later in 1312 we have evidence that
San Donato population begins to pay contribution
for protection to Bosco di Casperano. The first
urbanistical news in regards of the borgo dates
back to 1576 : in relation to a visit from Monsignor
Castelli Vescovo describing the borgo of San
Donato having 9 houses and 40 cristianed adults.
In the 18th century Vecchi's family built a
Villa already registered in Leopoldino archives
The church dates back to XI or XII.
In 1782 the church aquired prestige and power
thanks to Volterra's Bishop Alessandro Palletti
following the union of San Donato to Castelvecchio.
At the end of XIX century the noble Nicola Vecchi
contributed the actual bell tower and church